When updating, renovating or creating a planting bed one should know that there are many options to choose from. Stone has become a more popular product over traditional mulch. Below you will see our list of pros and cons for both stone and mulch.
Pros of Stone:
1. Reduces the possibility of weeds and grasses.
2. Creates a clean, uniform look all year round.
3. No need to replenish stone year after year.
4. Reduces maintenance.
5. Large selection of styles and colors to choose from.
6. Typically is installed with landscape fabric and bed edging.
Cons of Stone:
1. More expensive than traditional mulch.
2. Harder to install new plants once the stone is in place.
3. Labor intensive to install.
Pros of Mulch:
1. More natural product.
2. Biodegradable over time to form soil.
3. Cost effective.
4. Easy to install.
5. Large selection of colors to choose from.
6. Landscape fabric and bed edging is not necessary.
Cons of Mulch:
1. Have to replenish every year or every other year.
2. Can be moved around (out of bed areas) by wind, rain and snow.
3. Loses color over time.
If you would like to view examples of different types of stone and mulch, feel free to stop by our outdoor display. Whether you prefer stone or mulch, our team would be happy to install either at your home!